Literacy & Numeracy
Literacy and Numeracy:
- Phonics is taught at EYFS-KS2. Where students don’t meet the threshold intervention is put in place.
- EYFS and Year 1 are given book bags with books to take home to help to develop a love of reading.
- Reading Bugs in KS2- online reading programme and comprehension to help develop students’ reading.
- The library runs a yearly reading challenge. All year groups are involved.
- We have recently introduced accelerated reader for Y6, 7 and 8 as a tool to monitor students’ reading ages and their progress. It will also be used to develop reading for pleasure and create a culture of praise through awarding certificates and competition through ‘Who wants to be a millionaire?’
- Our library runs a number of writing competitions supported by local businesses.
- Trust wide ‘Seven Deadly Sins’ is followed within English and then supported in a weekly tutor time activity. This is then a termly focus for literacy marking in work scrutiny. Developing a common language for addressing literacy errors.
- Spelling focus in primary phase is linked to the National Curriculum.
- Spelling games consolodate learning throughout the week.
- There is a daily focus on spelling in the primary phase.
- In secondary subjects display and ask students to learn key spellings. There is some work to do on having a common approach across the Academy for learning technical and subject specific vocabulary.
- Word of the day in primary and word of the week on secondary aims to develop students’ vocabulary.
- Maths Monday gives student a numeracy task to do at lunchtime and if they enter they can win a prize.
- Word Wednesday gives student a literacy task to do at lunchtime and if they enter they can win a prize.
- Numeracy is promoted through the use of Hegarty Maths.