Welcome to English!
We believe that students deserve a broad and ambitious English curriculum, rich in skills and knowledge, which ignites curiosity and prepares them well for future learning or employment. Our English curriculum will give students the opportunity to:
- read complex passages confidently and methodically, in order to breakdown the language and structure to establish and analyse meaning;
- demonstrate mastery of reading through discussion and writing;
- enjoy a wide range of fiction and non-fiction texts which help them to connect with the world around them;
- develop cultural capital that will help remove barriers to achievement in school, future learning and the world of work;
- write clearly, fluently and accurately in plain English, showing flair and creativity where appropriate;
- develop detailed ideas in writing, adapting language to audience and purpose;
- use a wide range of appropriate and ambitious vocabulary with precision;
- produce ‘beautiful work’ of which they can be proud;
- in talk, articulate and express their ideas, views and opinions about a wide range of topics clearly, confidently and respectfully;
- develop their character, including resilience, confidence and independence, so that they contribute positively to the life of the school, the Doncaster community and the wider environment.
At Key Stage 3:
- Students follow a hinge text each term that is the basis of the learning – with supplementary materials that weave neatly into the term’s big question.
- In term one we study a fictional novel.
- In term two we study a work of literary non -fiction.
- In term three we study a drama text.
At Key Stage 4:
- Students study towards GCSEs in English Language and English Literature.
- Students follow the Eduqas exam board.
- The Literature texts studied are: Romeo and Juliet, A Christmas Carol, An Inspector Calls, and a variety of anthology and unseen poetry.
- In Language, students study fictional and non-fictional texts, as well as opportunities to develop creative and transactional writing.
The English Faculty:
- Mr M Ford – Faculty Leader
- Ms J Buckley – Assistant Principal for Teaching & Learning
- Miss J Crump – Teacher of English with responsibility for AR and KS3 Monitoring
- Miss A Powell – Teacher of English
- Dr M Wood – Teacher of English
- Mrs S Price – Director of English